In His Glad Service, Breck & Robbie Castleman

A bit of news about the life, work, family and faith of Breck and Robbie Castleman. "In His Glad Service" is a borrowed salutation from "Ham" and Estelle Hamilton who mentored us in the faith in our young life. They gave us permission to adopt their refrain for our own lives. We pray the we would be known as two people "In His Glad Service".

My Photo
Name:
Location: Siloam Springs, Arkansas, United States

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's MARCH, It's LENT, It's TIME TO CATCH UP THE OLE BLOG

#1Yes, Tyler did lose this snaggle tooth...just about a week after my December post. I know you've all been waiting. Sorry, I forgot to tell you!

#2 The ice storm was much worse for our little town than I realised. We're talking FEMA and people without electricity for over a week. We did lose a huge branch off our big oak tree in the back yard, but it didn't hurt the tree or fall on a structure. Anyway, I am embarrassed how cavalier I sound in the previous post. It really was bad for some folks.

#3. Our congregation and JBU are entering Lent with an eye on Scripture and a heart willing to reflect on "the walk" to calvary as we follow the footsteps of our Savior. Glory is always on the other side and there are no short-cuts.

#4. The big surprise is that I have been honored as the J. Vernon McGee Scholar in Biblical Studies for the 2009--2011 school years at JBU. This means a course release for four semesters, time to write my book on worship, and a nice stipend as a reward. We have some really top notch scholars in our division and at our school, so I was frankly quite shocked to recieve this award and recognition. So pray for my discipline, wisdom and hard work to steward this opportunity well.

#5. Pray for me as I have developed some arthritis it seems and a really cranky left knee that might be something else. I'm putting this in orange for two reasons: the alert level is raised as I have actually broken down and gone to the doctor and I'd rather blame "teams-with-orange-in-their-uniforms" than the fact that I am actually getting "up there" in age. THIS APRIL, it will be 40 years of walking with Jesus for me. So, you do the math.

#6 Next week I'm speaking at a church in Chicago, so I'll get to see Dayton, Karen and Anna for an afternoon! AND, we're off to the Georgia mountains and the Gulf Coast for spring break in mid March to spend time with Scott, Rebecca, Tyler, Eben and Tate. We'll get to help them settle in a bit at their new home and church in Ocean Springs after a couple of days resting with them at a retreat place in Georgia that Rebecca's family owns. Cool, huh? So, stay tuned for pix from the family when we return!








2 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

Dr. C, I'm delighted to hear #4 - and not at all surprised :) Congratulations!! May you use it well.

March 4, 2009 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Congrats on your award! My favorite book of yours is still Parenting in the Pew! : )

Thanks for the update. Our mini update: just back from a week in Costa Rica on a science/missions trip with 30 high schoolers, Kate and Beth are full time student teaching in elementary school and graduate from Pepperdine in May, I'm still homeschooling Jennifer, 5th grade.

Warmly,
Caroline

March 4, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home